Welcome to my new and improved personal blog. My name is Alwyn Sy, a law graduate, marathoner and volunteer business coach of Create Abundance International Business Community. My passion is running and I want to be financially free to be able to run around the world. Our mission in the community is to spread financial education to the Filipino people. It is also our dream to lay the foundation for First-World Philippines and Filipinos to be world-class entrepreneurs. Aside from helping out in our family's garments business, I am also an International Executive of Nu Skin Enterprises, a company specializing in health, beauty and anti-aging. Hope you enjoy reading some of the articles (business, running and anything under the sun).

Monday, August 29, 2011

12 Running Lessons Applied in Business (Part 3 of 3)

As a quick recap of my previous post: 5. Getting out of your comfort zone; 6. Constant learning; 7. Accepting failures and 8. Commitment. We now move on to the last 4 lessons.

9. Eliminating the word "quit" from your vocabulary. - In the sport of running, I don't care about the top finishers. Who I admire most are the last finishers, people whose names can be found at the bottom of the list. They may have lots of adversity: lack of proper training, weight issues, or sudden injuries during the race, but the most important thing is that they did not quit. That's why race organizers give out finisher medals to 21K runners and above, to recognize their efforts of not giving up and finishing the race.

To succeed in network marketing, one must also never give up. There may be lots of adversities on your way to success, whether it be the people close to you (dreamstealers), the Filipino peoples' generally poor mindset and crab mentality, misconceptions about the industry or even yourself (procrastination, self-doubt), we must never allow them to overcome our big dreams for your family and society and keep moving forward.

"Most people give up just when they're about to achieve success. They quit on the one yard line. They give up at the last minute of the game, one foot from a winning touch down." - Ross Perot





10. Slow start, strong finish. - My mindset evolved as a runner. Back then when I was running short distances, my overall objective was to finish fast. I consider myself an above-average runner and seeing my name among the top 20% of the finishers would give me satisfaction. I had a paradigm shift when I started doing longer distances. I used my old strategy on my first half-marathon. Although I finished at a respectable time of under 2 and a half hours, my legs were worn out and had a tough time walking the following day. To finish strong, one must start at a slow pace first. I know a lot of people who start out fast and strong, only to empty their tanks near the end. The race is a long way to go. Better to take it slow at first, set the proper pace, bask in the running atmosphere, enjoy the scenery, and then gain the momentum for a strong and injury-free finish.

Same thing with business. I always equate my business with running a full marathon. The finish line is still far. Some are sprinters, while some are pacers. It's ok to start slow. What matters most is you develop your foundation, build pipelines and gain the proper momentum for a strong finish. Our mentors call it the "snowball effect." Imagine you are going uphill building a snowball. There comes a point when the snowball is getting bigger and heavier, and you are having a tough time hoisting it up the peak of the hill. If you give up pushing, the snowball drags you down back to start. That's why most people quit when they go back to the beginning. But if you keep pushing and pushing until you reach the summit, the rest of it will be downhill. And mind you, the snowball keeps getting bigger and bigger, and momentum will propel your business until you reach the finish line.



11. The Mission - Otherwise known as the Big Why. Why do I keep on running? I run to improve my cardiovascular health, to get rid of my belly, to be able to live longer, to destress, to meet more friends, to start my day right, to be able to help other people (through charity), and to appreciate the wonders of the world. If you don't know your mission in running, you will just be a person lost with no direction.

Why did I pursue this business? To have the following: financial freedom, time freedom, be able to empower other people in becoming future leaders, to provide jobs, and to retire rich and young. If you don't know your mission in business, you will just be a person lost with no direction. 

Some of my friends would ask why I didn't focus on my legal career? Sayang naman ang 5 years of studying law. Well, our country has too many brilliant lawyers who all want a piece of glory. I humbly would step down and give the limelight to them to satisfy their passions. My passion, my lifeblood, is in building big businesses and coaching other people to be successful leaders for our country. Also, I realized that the legal track will not give me financial and time freedom at the fastest possible time, unless I "turn over to the dark side," if you know what I mean. :)

Being here in the Nu Skin business is like riding the fastest vehicle towards achieving my dreams. If I looked for a job, it'll be like riding a bicycle. Work as an associate in a law firm? Motorcycle. Traditional business/managing a firm? Probably like riding an ordinary sedan. With Nu Skin, it's like I'm riding a Bullet Train. And no matter how hard you pedal on your bike or slam the gas pedal in your sedan, you will never catch me! :)
 
How about you? What is your mission in your current undertaking?
  

12. Helping others succeed. - It's in my nature to think of others first. Although running is an individual sport, it gives me greater satisfaction to be able to help others cross the finish line. After conquering my first two half-marathons, I volunteered to be a pacer to my running buddies Francis Chua and Peter Ng who attempted their first 21K. I said to myself that it's a better feeling to help others cross the finish line and get their finisher medals rather than aim to improve my personal record time. There are plenty of opportunities in the future to train harder and get a faster time. Now that I'm months away from attempting my first ultramarathon, I will be once again running alongside my running buddy (and business partner) for the whole trip, helping each other cross the finish line and be recognized as ultramarathoners.

In our network marketing business, the same principle applies. The best and fastest way to earn a huge amount of passive income (income without having to work) is dependent upon the number of people you helped become successful (Executive level). In other words, this business is not just about knocking in people's homes and conducting product demonstrations, buying at wholesale and selling at retail, or recruiting hundreds of people as frontlines. What matters most is that we have a system in the community, we get to learn from those who are already successful, we develop our leadership and entrepreneurial skills (not  just our ahente skills,) and the more people you help achieve their dreams, the more you will be able to achieve yours. The business model is what we call innovative franchising, the next step in the evolution of business.

"I can do things you cannot, you can do things I cannot; together we can do great things." - Mother Teresa


There goes my 12 lessons learned from running that I applied in business. Hope you were able to learn a thing or two from it. Share the insights to your friends/loved ones.

Keep moving forward!

No comments:

Post a Comment