Welcome to my new and improved personal blog. My name is Alwyn Sy, a law graduate, marathoner and volunteer business coach of Create Abundance International Business Community. My passion is running and I want to be financially free to be able to run around the world. Our mission in the community is to spread financial education to the Filipino people. It is also our dream to lay the foundation for First-World Philippines and Filipinos to be world-class entrepreneurs. Aside from helping out in our family's garments business, I am also an International Executive of Nu Skin Enterprises, a company specializing in health, beauty and anti-aging. Hope you enjoy reading some of the articles (business, running and anything under the sun).

Monday, August 29, 2011

12 Running Lessons Applied in Business (Part 1 of 3)

Running is one of my passions. One of my big dreams if I become financially free is to run anywhere in the world whenever I want to. New York, Great Wall of China, Barbados, Australia, Antarctica (gulp!), game on! I've been running for close to two years now, finished my marathon last March and about to complete 2 more before the year ends. The sport has taught me a lot of life lessons. As I frequently tell my runner friends, every run is an experience! Allow me to share to you the 12 important lessons I've learned from running that I've applied (and will constantly apply) in my business:

1. Going against the norm - Although running is now a booming sport, it's still something not usually done by most people, especially here in the Philippines. When I started running, people close to me would make remarks like "Wala ka bang magawa? Magtrabaho ka nalang!" or "I like the idea of running, but I am still not ready." The "normal" non-runners would usually laugh at or sometimes even throw insults or invectives at the "abnormal" runners.  

Although networking marketing is now a booming industry worldwide, it's still something not usually done by most people, especially here in the Philippines. When I started the Nu Skin business, people close to me would make remarks like "Wala ka bang magawa? Maghanap ka nalang ng tunay na trabaho!" or "I like the idea of having a business, but I am still not yet ready." The "normal" employees/professionals/traditional businessmen would usually laugh at or sometimes even throw insults or invectives (SCAMMERS/SPAMMERS) at the "abnormal" network marketers.

People would already jump into hasty conclusions, not looking at the bigger picture and not knowing the person's primary purpose for doing so. Why do I run? I run because I want to have a healthy lifestyle, appreciate nature and know my capabilities. Why did I join network marketing? Because this is the business fit for the Information Age and I am here to educate people that this business is legitimate and we can be professional network marketing entrepreneurs. Also, I want to attain financial freedom, be able to help and empower other people and have time for my family.

Being a semi-nonconformist has its advantages. As stated by Robert Frost in his famous poem "The Road Not Taken" - Two roads diverged in a wood, and I — I took the one less travelled by, And that has made all the difference.


2. You control your life - It's all up to you whether you like to run or not. Run for one kilometer, walk the rest of the way? By all means! If your belief is that walking is just for wimps, go ahead! It is your initiative to run (or walk), and no one will force you to do so.

Likewise, in network marketing, you are the captain of the ship. You don't work from 8-5, you don't report to a boss, and you don't get fired for a lousy performance. Like running, it also depends on your initiative whether to start this kind of business or not.

A running coach is not a boss but a mentor. Likewise, an upline is not a boss but a mentor.

I AM MY OWN BOSS.


3. Preparation - You don't run the whole 21 or 42 kilometers without the adequate training and preparation. That is tantamount to suicide and could lead to serious injuries. Before an event, there must be the proper preparations. Where will the route be? Are there adequate water stations? Where are the emergency stations and toilet areas?

In the network marketing business, you don't just jump into the bandwagon without doing the necessary background check. Is the company stable? Is it a duly registered company? Does it offer a good compensation package? Are the products great? Is this the right company for me?

"Before everything else, getting ready is the secret to success." - Henry Ford


4. Taking action - Running starts when you get out of bed, put on your running shoes and hit the pavement. Just like learning how to swim: You may have read the best books, watched the best videos on swimming, and even memorized the proper forms; but if you don't jump into the pool and start swimming, you'll never learn how to.

Same formula in the MLM business. If you just sit around and do nothing, your business will not grow. But if you start sharing the beauty of the products through product demos, explain the business opportunity to others and look to help more people become better entrepreneurs, results will necessarily follow.


 “Man cannot discover new oceans unless he has the courage to lose sight of the shore.”- Andre Gide


When do we take action?




(to be continued)

1 comment:

  1. I look the site it was a very good and very informative in many aspects thanks for share such a nice work.
    amy walker radio host

    ReplyDelete